Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Girly hair and "I love you, dude"

I've been growing my hair out for the first time in years.  I typically have a shaved head and I felt like a change.  I wanted to get a greaser look going, but now that Laurel understands what I mean by that, it's been vetoed. 

So it's finally getting a little longer and I've been mostly having it stick up in funky ways, because I like it.  And when I told Laurel that some people had complimented my hair, she couldn't believe it, but proceeded to tell me that she's realizing, now that I have hair for the first time in years, that it is thick and volumptous.  She said that most women would love to have my hair. 

Then the next day I was leaving a message for a friend and ended with, "I love you, dude."  This is not the first time I've done this.  I've done it to several guy friends in the last few months.  It just comes out.  I don't plan on it or even think about it.  As soon as I hung up, I thought that he's going to think I'm a little out there. 

Not sure what this all means.  Am I just getting in touch with my feminine side?  I know that guys are definitely going to have odd reactions when I say, "I love you, dude", but I can't help it.  Like I said, it just comes out. 

I think that as I grow in my walk with Jesus, I don't care as much about what others think.  He just comes through in life.  He is Love.  And I know we are in a culture that does not express it verbally to each other unless we are talking with our mom, spouse or about In-N-Out animal style cheeseburgers, but it needs to be said.  It needs to be expressed. 

The reality is that Jesus said, "There is no greater way to love than to give your life for your friends" (John 15:13, The Voice). I want to live for Jesus and that means that I need to love people.  That means that I should be willing to lay my life down for others.  I know saying, "I love you, dude" is not considered very manly in our culture, but dying for someone else is the ultimate manly act. 

So let's just say that when, "I love you, dude" comes out of my mouth, it really means "I'm willing to give up my life for you"...which ultimately means, "I love you, dude."

Maybe I should just get a haircut...

No comments:

Post a Comment